In a church school, collective worship should be invitational, inclusive and inspiring.
Collective Worship is an important part of the school day, taking time to come together and reflect as a whole school community.
All schools are required by law to have a daily act of collective worship. In a church school this should be Christian and reflect the Anglican nature of the school. Many schools work with their local church and vicar to plan and deliver collective worship.
Derby DBE Guidance
Click button to read DBE guidance on collective worship in schools.
Seeing Anew is an approach to collective worship which takes a careful look at how the practices of collective worship can be formational of all those taking part. Click on the links below for resources that help to explore this approach.
- An introduction to Seeing Anew and how to use the slides
- Slides to use with staff as part of a staff meeting or INSET
- Slides 1 Focus Wisdom
- Slides 2 Focus Hope
- Slides 3 Focus Community & Dignity
- ‘Seeing Anew and being a Church School’ film
- ‘Seeing Anew and School Vision’ film
- How can collective worship be seen through the lens of the Church of England’s Vision for Education?
- What if Learning Statements
- Linking What if Learning – Seeing Anew collective worship ideas
- 4 versions of the Lord’s Prayer
- Seeing Anew planning grid
- Planning example 1 Holy Week
- Planning example 2 Forgiveness Garden
- Planning example 3 Derby Diocese 90th anniversary
- Planning example 4 Communion
The Church of England Education Office has developed a series of resources for collective worship which can be used in school or at home. You can view them HERE.
Information on the seasons of the church year, or liturgical calendar, can be found HERE.
RE Today provide an excellent overview of festivals and significant dates for all faiths HERE.
You may find the links below useful. Please note that they are not intended to be used as an “off-the-shelf” solution to delivering daily acts of collective worship in schools.
Derby DBE does not have any responsibility for the content of these sites.