Training – Understanding Christianity SESSION 3
The publication “Understanding Christianity” is an excellent resource to support good quality teaching and can be used within the requirements of your syllabus guidelines. The Statement of Entitlement for RE for church schools asks you teach about Christianity using theological concepts which is what this resource does. Derby Diocese strongly recommends the use of this resource.
SESSION 1 – Friday 6 May
SESSION 2 – Monday 27 June
SESSION 3 – Tuesday 11 October
This course is suitable for a school where Understanding Christianity is not used, or where there is no-one who has attended the training, or there is a new subject leader who has not used the resource previously. The cost is £200 to include all 3 sessions, the Understanding Christianity handbook and all resources.
What resources do you get with the training?
- a teacher’s handbook
- 22 detailed units of work for primary – 20 of them match the primary units from the Agreed Syllabus
- Over 100 pages of photocopiable resources
- a wall frieze showing the ‘big story’ of the Bible, to back up the units
- full online access to the resource – available to use within your school
The training package
- To receive this extensive resource pack, you need to attend training
- Following recommendations from the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring
and the Teacher Development Trust that effective training should be intense and sustained, the expectation is that teachers in primary schools will have at least 10 hours of CPD on Understanding Christianity. There will be gaps between encounters when schools will try out the approach, returning to explore further.
Online training events
- Schools will need to attend all modules.
- Each session will include setting teachers a ‘gap task’, trialling an aspect of the resource in school.
- Feedback and discussion on these ‘gap tasks’ will be included in each session, so that teachers can share ideas and learn from each other’s experiences.
To book a place, please complete the online form HERE.